Water is life. It is good to keep on drinking a reasonable amount of water after every hour to hydrate our bodies. If you dehydrate, you may become ill. It becomes more important to hydrate your body when you go on outdoor activities like camping, traveling, hiking, mountaineering, etc. When you go on outdoor activities, your body loses water through sweat.
Outdoor activities are good for human health. These activities make us healthy, improve our mood, and reduce stress and depression. On the other hand, you should also know the side effects of these activities like dehydration. During camping, people become dehydrated when they travel, adventure, and hike the whole day and do not take in water. Severe effects of dehydration cause diarrhea, vomiting, fever, excessive sweating, and increased urination. Therefore, it is important to stay hydrated the whole day whether you are at house, office, or enjoying summer vacation. Therefore, I’m going to give you several tips that will help you to learn how to be hydrated during camping. Let’s scroll down to read how to stay hydrated while camping.
- Why do campers become dehydrated?
- How much should you drink every day?
- Buying Guide
- Comparison Chart:
- How to be Hydrated in Camping
- 2- Use a Filter
- Preventing Dehydration
- Final Thoughts:
- Hot Tips:
Why do campers become dehydrated?
Most people are not habitual in drinking water regularly. They are busy with their work and do not pay attention to their fluid needs. They do the same practice when they go camping, traveling, or hiking. Camping activities raise your body temperature which causes perspiration to increase. Therefore, they fall into diarrhea and fever on their second day of camping. A good camper is habitual of drinking water. He takes a sip of drink after every 20 minutes.
How much should you drink every day?
You lose water through your bowel movements, urine, breath, tears, and perspiration. When you go to the gym, for a morning walk, and camping, you lose the amount of water more than a normal routine through perspiration. According to The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine a normal person should intake 4 liters of fluids a day. When you go camping, you should drink 6 liters of water a day.
- Water Bottle: Opt for a stainless steel water bottle like the Hydro Flask Wide Mouth water bottle that has good thermal regulation properties. The material should not contaminate the water with toxins, and the bottle should be easy to clean.
- Water Filter: Ensure that the water filter you choose, like the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, effectively removes bacteria, contaminants, and harmful ingredients. It should be portable, easy to use, and require little to no maintenance.
- Hydration Pack: Your hydration pack, such as the Vibrelli Hydration Pack, should be comfortable to carry and have a good water capacity. It should be made of durable material and come with an easy-to-use straw for quick hydration.
- Drink Options: Avoid soft and sweet drinks as they can enhance thirst. Opt for natural fruit-flavored drinks that are low in sugar but high in taste and nutritional content.
- Healthy Snacks: Fresh fruits and vegetables are essential for hydration. If you’re going on a long camping trip, consider a portable cooler like the Yeti cooler to keep your food fresh for a longer period.
- Emergency Measures: Always be prepared to collect and use rainwater in emergencies.
|Hydro Flask Wide Mouth
|Keeps drinks hot or cold, durable
|LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
|Removes contaminants, portable
|Vibrelli Hydration Pack
|Stores more water, easy to carry
|Natural Fruit Flavored Drinks
|Low sugar, high taste, nutritious
|Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
|High in nutrition, helps in hydration
|High-quality, great ice retention, perfect for storing fresh produce
How to be Hydrated in Camping
1. Carry a Water Bottle
Everyone likes to drink cool water on a hot day. A water bottle keeps your water fresh and cool. It saves your water from germs, bacteria, and harmful effects. Carry a water bottle with you when you are traveling, hiking, and mountaineering. Don’t use a plastic or aluminum bottle. Get a stainless steel bottle that keeps your hot drink hot and cold drink cold. There are so many brands, but These bottles are refillable. I have used so many water bottles, but the Hydro Flask Wide Mouth water bottle is the best water bottle for indoor and outdoor uses.
2- Use a Filter
Water is a blessing of God. We cannot live without fresh water. The importance of freshwater is increased when you are busy with physical activities like camping, hunting, and traveling. You need more water than usual. Campground water is not drinkable. This water has bacteria, harmful ingredients, and contaminants that can make you ill. Therefore, I would recommend you take the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter with you to filter the water. This is the best water filter for camping, hiking, and emergency workout. It is easy to maintain. It removes all the contaminants from the water immediately and makes your journey healthy.
3- Go With a Hydration Pack
Camping has unlimited fun. You have dozens of activities to do. During camping, you do hiking, swimming, mountaineering, fishing, hunting, and several difficult activities. Outdoor activities are tiresome and cause dehydration. You lose a lot of water through perspiration. You need an ample amount of water during these activities. Therefore, you should carry a hydration pack with you. These bags can store much more water than a water bottle. A Vibrelli Hydration Pack is the best bag for camping and outdoor activities. You put it on your back like a backpack. It comes with a straw that makes it easy to drink water.
4- Avoid Soft and Sweet Drinks
Everyone is fond of drinking sweet drinks. Especially when you are extremely thirsty, you feel more pleasure by drinking sweet drinks. On the contrary, if you drink sweet drinks on a hot weather day, these drinks make you more thirsty. These drinks enhance your quenching and make you more dehydrated. Instead of that, you should drink juices that fulfill your hydration. Therefore, you should avoid sweet drinks.
5- Try Flavored Water
Drinking continuously tasteless water brings boredom, anxiety, and dullness. Flavored water is the best drink for drinking. These drinks contain low calories and low sugar, but they are delicious. Flavored drinks are also healthier than soda and soft drinks. Flavored drinks are made with natural fruit flavors and artificial sweeteners. Natural fruit-flavored drinks are full of nutrition. So, if you want to drink tasteful drinks, natural fruit flavors are the best option to drink. Two or three glasses of water in a day are enough to hydrate your body.
6- Eat Smart
Fresh fruits and vegetables are a perfect diet. There is no alternative to fresh fruits and vegetables to reduce dehydration. They are full of nutritional ingredients, vitamins, and fluids. They have great power to reduce tension, anxiety, and dehydration. Take some fresh fruits and vegetables with you when you are going on camping. But it is difficult to store them for a long time. If you want to take fresh fruits and vegetables, get a portable Yeti cooler with you. Yeti Cooler is famous for its high-quality performance, ice retention, and storage.
7- Emergency Rainwater
Rainwater is fresh and digestive water. If you have finished your water and you are far away from your camp, collect the rainwater in the rain. Hang up a clean sheet tightly in an open area. Collect the rainwater and fill it in a cooler, gallon, or bucket.
How to prevent dehydration is a common question. Dehydration occurs in our bodies due to a lack of water. You can prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of water, flavored drinks, and fresh fruit juices. If you feel the following signs in your body, drink plenty of water immediately to prevent dehydration.
Early signs of dehydration
- Feeling thirsty
- Feeling tired
- Dry mouth, eyes, and lips
- Peeling little
- Feeling dizzy
More serious symptoms of dehydration
- The umbles
- Dark or brightly colored urine
Serious complications of dehydration
- Heat injury
- Low blood volume shock
- Urinary and kidney problems
Staying hydrated while camping is critical for maintaining health and preventing illness. Ensuring that you carry a reliable water bottle and filter, opting for the right drinks, and consuming fresh fruits and vegetables can significantly help in maintaining hydration. Understanding the signs of dehydration can aid in preventing serious health complications. Always be prepared for emergencies by knowing how to utilize resources like rainwater.
Here are some tips for staying hydrated during camping:
- Carry a reliable water bottle, such as the Hydro Flask Wide Mouth.
- Use a portable and efficient water filter, like the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, to ensure the water you consume is safe.
- Bring a hydration pack, such as the Vibrelli Hydration Pack, especially when engaging in physical activities.
- Avoid soft and sweet drinks as they can increase thirst and lead to dehydration.
- Opt for natural fruit-flavored drinks that are low in sugar but high in taste and nutritional content.
- Consume fresh fruits and vegetables regularly as they can help in maintaining hydration.
- Consider carrying a portable cooler like the Yeti cooler for longer camping trips to keep your food and drinks fresh.
- Be prepared to collect and use rainwater in emergencies.
- Learn to identify early signs of dehydration, such as thirst, fatigue, and dry mouth, and take immediate action to rehydrate.
- Be aware that severe dehydration can lead to complications like heat injury, seizures, and kidney problems. If you or someone with you experiences these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
How much water should I drink while camping?
You should aim to drink at least 6 liters of water per day while camping.
Can I rely on campground water for drinking?
It’s not recommended as campground water might contain bacteria and harmful contaminants. Always filter your water using a reliable water filter.
Why should I avoid sweet and soft drinks while camping?
Sweet and soft drinks can increase your thirst and lead to dehydration.
Can I use flavored water for hydration?
Yes, flavored water, especially those made with natural fruit flavors and low sugar, can be a good option for hydration.
What are some of the early signs of dehydration?
Early signs of dehydration include thirst, fatigue, dry mouth, eyes, and lips, peeing little, and feeling dizzy.
I am James, and I love camping! Camping is one of the best ways to get away from it all. It can be a great way to relax after a stressful day or just spend quality time with friends or family.
This blog will provide you with some helpful tips for your next camping trip as well as reviews of different products that might come in handy when you are out there under the stars.